Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Love

Love
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

(1 Cor 13)

Where is the love? We can do great exploits for God. We can preach to large multitudes, co oridinate stellar conventions, help those in poverty, initiate new bible studies, but it will mean nothing to God if there is no love.

Or how about those zealous Christians who give such glowing testimonies of speaking in tongues but you hear nothing about love or being loved? Isn't love greater? That is the greatest manifestation of the Spirit filled life. Tongues is great but love is more superior.

Funny, I read so many mission statements and visions for churches and ministires and so far I have found none that say anything about love. Sometimes I wonder if we have experienced vision drift...? You'll hear about the great commission or other things but nothing about the most important commandments in the Bible which are, "30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these. (Mark 12)"

Hmmm interesting huh? Well do you know when we don't love our neighbor? When we use our neighbor as a means to an end. You've heard the old, 'do this and that for me stuff...' Or those people who only go to you when they need something and when you offer your help, there is no thank you and good job but sia nara. Or how about those people who only value how useful you can be to them. No getting to know the whole person and understanding where they come from. Just do what I want and leave. Ouch, how cold hearted.

Love should be our highest aim. I need more of it and so do you! That is the thing that drew me to Chirst. I experienced that love of God through a good friend. I heard sermons and testimonies and sang songs about God but what touched me the most was the love!