Sunday, September 02, 2007

Real Life!

"Show me, O LORD, my life's end
and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting is my life.

You have made my days a mere hand breadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Each man's life is but a breath.
Selah" (Psalm 39:4-5)

There are many stories of tragedy out there. One of the more common ones are about wasted lives. I heard a story about a Pastor who was called to conduct a funeral of a young man. He didn't know much about him so the Pastor went out to find some information about him. To his utter amazement, he was shocked at what he found out.

Apparently, the young man only partied his life away. The Pastor couldn' t find anything solid or meaningful to say about the person on his funeral. It was really sad. It was a wasted life. Death was just around the corner for this person and he didn't know it.

The statistics on death are startling. Did you know that one in one people will die? It is true. We all will face death one day.

If the young man knew that death was around the corner, do you think he would have made some changes? What do think he would do? What do you think he would change? Would there be any regrets? Would he lament and say the 'if only's' in life? Would he say, "If only I did this? If only I didn't do that? If I could take back saying this or treated that person better?"

These are questions we all need to ask ourselves. We all need to take a solid look at our lives and evaluate whether we are really living out what we are created to do. We need to be real about our lives. We need to be real about life!


No comments: