Monday, January 10, 2005

Lost Potential

There is so much wasted potential in the world. Have you seen what it looks like? It happens when people don’t find out what their gifts and talents are? It’s never found, tap into and used to it’s full potential. Instead it can gets squandered doing the things it wasn't met to do like flipping burgers or something. And those who are gifted at flipping burgers are stuck trying to paint or make music which they are not meant to do or are even good at. Some of us know but don't tell them their potential is squandered.

Then there are cases when we do find out the gifts but don’t use them. All because we believe a lie. Here’s some examples of lies:

“You can’t do that!”
“You’ll never make it?”
“You’re not good enough, smart enough, educated enough or tough enough.”
“You don’t have what it takes.”

Sometimes we waste our potential by focusing on past failures or when we’re traumatized by bad experiences.

What’s the solution? Keep on keeping on! Here are some words from my friend Paul:

“… Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” Phil 3:12

What’s another solution? Forget the past!

“….But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind me and straining toward what it ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Phil 3:14

Did it pay off for Paul? Let’s look at his words in 1 Tim 4:7-8:

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day – and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”

Then there are times when we need a little help. That’s why I talk to Jesus. He has given us his Spirit but how powerful is the Spirit?

“And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.” Romans 8:11

So go ahead what are you waiting for? Oh don’t just sit there do it! Dream again! Grab hold of that vision that is beyond yourself. I dare you to take Paul at his word? I dare you to get Jesus involved and see how He can help? I challenge you to get empowered by God’s Spirit. What are you waiting for? What do you got to lose? Just do it!

No comments: