Monday, April 10, 2006

Some things I leared!

I just came back from a cool pre teen convetion called SPARK! I had an awesome time as I went to a couple of leadership sessions. I would like to share some of the things I got out of it!

What is the difference between Character and Inegrity?

Character:

  • The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes on person, group, or things from another
  • Public estimation of somones reputation
  • Moral or ethical strength
Inegrity:
  • Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
  • The state of being unimpaired soundness
  • The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness
1. God chooses character over competence or skill.

Psalm 78:72, " And David shepherded them with integrity of heart;
with skillful hands he led them."

Neh 7:2, "2 I put in charge of Jerusalem my brother Hanani, along with Hananiah the commander of the citadel, because he was a man of integrity and feared God more than most men do."

Bill Hybels' 4 C's of Leadership:

1) Character
2) Chemistry
3) Commitment
4) Competence

2) Inegrity is an inside job:

  • Not determined by circumstances - you are responcible for your choices. Your circumstances are as responcible for your character as a mirror is for your looks. What you see only reflects who you are.
  • Not based on credentials - character comes from who you are, not by the titles we have earned or the positions we hold.
Credentials

Are transient
Turn the focus to rights
Add value only to one person
Look past accomplishments
Often evokes jealousy in others
Can only get you in the door

Character

Is permanent
Keeps the focus on responcibility
Adds value to many people
Builds a legacy for the future
Generates respect and integrity
Keeps you there

Questions to Help you Measure Your Integrity
Adapted from "Becoming A Person of Influence." by John Maxwell and Jim Dornan

  • How well do I treat people from whom I can gain nothing?
  • How do I practice healthy transparency with others? If I don't, how can I start
  • Do I role-play based on the persons I'm with? If so, what situations do I role-play in and how?
  • Am I the same person when I'm in the spotlight as when I'm alone? Who can I ask to observe me and tell me their perspective on both my public and private life?
  • Do I quickly admit wrongdoing without being pressed to do so?
  • Do I put other people ahead of my personal agenda? He have I served the people I lead recently without serving my ministry goal?
  • Do I have an unchanging standard on moral decisions, or do circumstances determine my choices? If there is a disconnect, in which circumstances do my standards change?
  • Do I make difficult decisions, even when they have a personal cost attached to them?
  • When I have something to say about people, do I talk to them or about them?
  • Am I accountable to at least one other person for what I think, say and do? What is it and what kind of frequency do we have?
  • Is my outward, public ministry or work superseding my inward growth? What have I been learning/studying/reflecting on intentionally and recently that has nothing to do with public ministry?

1 comment:

~SIM J~ said...

yo i like this new look!