Monday, February 14, 2005

"Happy Valentines Day"

What a beautiful day huh? In case you forgot it is Valentine’s Day. Some of you may be saying, “O Gosh, I forgot all about it! I gotta go and get flowers and chocolates and dinner and etc…” while others may be saying, “O, I got to go and get that bucket of Chocolate Ice Cream and have a pity party and cry over some ‘romantic’ movie.” There are so many different ways to celebrate. There are so many reasons for the season.

I was in India last year and Valentine’s is a new concept being introduced to the people. I’m not sure if everyone there understands how it is celebrated. My dad was reading the paper that told about this man who was madly infatuated with this woman. Valentines came and he made his intentions known to some damsel. She wasn’t very interested or impressed with the guy and kinda let him down. So how did he react? He cut off her hand! OUCH!

Also there was this Internet group that was planning to celebrate Valentines in another way. There was this guy who was trying to rally this group together to commit suicide on this day. He got caught and is in custody with the police now. Wow.

My Dad has a different way of celebrating. He usually comes with flowers, wine and chocolates and presents them to my mom. She starts of being bitter but later she reluctantly accepts. Dad’s quite the honey dripper.

So Dad decided to give me some ‘advice’ on celebrating. Well, I’m not sure if it is called advice or nagging when he says, “When are you going to get married and settle down and yadda yadda yadda!” I told him that I have never been happier in my life. The degree is finished, I get to do tons of ministries, I have a lovely roof over my heart, a 3-course meal (sometimes more), and a vehicle. I just cleared my VISA card and I don’t have to worry about mortgage, mouths to feed, bills, dates to remember etc. etc. etc. Life has never been better. I can take a deep breath and Praise God! They’re very few people who are as blessed as me. Dad chuckled and mentioned how my fore fathers gave blood, sweat and tears to make it so I try not to take it for granted.

Then I found an article at church celebrating Valentines. It celebrated some truths for singles about marriage from Bill and Lynn Hybels, which I will share with you:

1) Marriage will not end one’s loneliness. Apparently there are millions of lonely people who are in ideal marriages

2) Marriage will not heals one’s brokenness. Only God can do that he, “ heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds.” (Psalm 147:2)

3) Marriage will not always ensure one’s happiness and according to the Hybels, in Fit to be Tied, “…an unhappy single person will be an unhappy married person.”

4) Marriage is not for everyone. Jesus and Paul spoke about the advantages in ministry as singles.

Now don’t get me wrong I’m not against marriage in any way but I wish we’d realize the Valentines could be a day to celebrate for us singles as well. Check out Paul and Mother Teresa who have had happy single lives for God. They did a grand work for the Almighty and aren’t they awesome models to follow? Their lives changed the face of the earth. We singles need to rise up and tell the World that Valentines is a festive day for celebration for us as well. This day can be a day to gain a new inspiration for ministry and also a day to count our blessings and make light of the advantages of serving God with little hindrance. It can be a day to regather a new momentum and gain a better perspective. Then we'll be able to rejoice and say, "What a wonderful day it is!" and "Happy Valentines Day!"

1 comment:

Warrior4Christ24 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.