Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Grass Roots Gospel



One thing I got out of SAGC is the return to the grass roots of the Gospel. I remember as a young Christian, brought up on the vision Mother Teresa and touched by acts of compassion in the form of humanitarian aid, building orphanages, fighting social injustice and so on. I remember being completely awestruck and inspired to do this work. I feel like I kinda fell away from that being in a Church setting. Church ministry is great but can be so limiting.

We churchaholics think that we have to ram sermons and flush people through our song list to make them know Jesus. This is only one of many ways. I came to Christ through a friendship. Sure RS invited me to his church. The people were warm and sincere. They started on time and ended on time and sang in key. The message was coherent and to the point. It was a spotless service but none of it spoke to me personally. It may have worked in the past for other people in the church but not me. I've got nothing against Church services but to say that it is only one of many means to reach people for Jesus.

These people above fought against social ills and felt the heartfelt need of the community. I was touched, moved and confounded. Maybe God has brought me to the church to bring light to these kinds of ministries and think beyond the norm. Who knows? Time will tell.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:27)

No comments: